I recently started reading Gala Darling’s book, Radical Self-Love and it has really been making me think about how we treat ourselves. Often, we beat ourselves up for making mistakes or not being “good enough”. We call ourselves names or focus on the negative things we see about ourselves. I know that I am guilty of doing this at times! It makes me incredibly sad however, because we really should have a loving relationship with ourselves as it is the most important relationship we will ever have. We are with ourselves 24/7 and of course, we won’t love ourselves every minute of every day but I believe that we should be making a conscious effort to do so and when that self-love seeps in, you will feel ultimate happiness.
Some things that I suggest you give a try in order to connect more deeply with yourself are:
- Meditation: All you need is 5 minutes of sitting by yourself with no distractions and just be. It will help centre you and you will feel connected to your mind and body.
- Turn your phone off: This is a hard one (and if you really can’t face turning it off, turn it on silent and leave it in another room for a while) but it really works wonders! I have started doing this and just leaving my phone away from me while I take the time to read a book, do some yoga or even just sit with a cup of tea. Social media is a huge distraction and there are so many different energies that can affect you when you are scrolling through your timeline. If you are constantly on social media, you cannot possibly be focusing wholly on yourself and just being.
- Affirmations: I have affirmations written on post-it notes all around my house and every time I see one, it is a brilliant reminder of self-love. There are so many that you could use but you have to find the ones that resonate with you the most. It could be as simple as standing in front of the mirror and saying, “I love you” while looking straight in your own eyes. It feels strange at first but honestly, the more you practice it, the better it will feel. (I’ll leave a few affirmations to help get you started at the bottom of this post).
- Get moving: I really am not the biggest fan of exercise at all! But when I discovered yoga, it totally changed my life. I have learned to love my body the way it is through a regular practice which was hard for me due to my illness but the results are amazing. I urge you to find your favourite form of moving your body; it could be walking, running, cycling, swimming, yoga, dancing…anything. Just get up and move!
- Take yourself on a date: This may seem like a strange concept as you may be worried about what people will think if you are out alone, but to be honest no one is really caring as they are too wrapped up in their own lives and even if they do, why should you care!? Some suggestions could be to take yourself on a date to grab a cup of tea/coffee, go on a long walk by yourself, take yourself out for dinner or some shopping. Just spend some quality time on your own. If this seems too much, try it in the house first and gradually build up the confidence.
Affirmations for self-love:
- I love you.
- Love is all around me.
- I deserve to be loved.
- I am thankful for everything in my life.
- I take loving care of my body.
- I can do it.
- I respect myself.
- I forgive myself for not being perfect, I am doing the best I can.
- I am realising I deserve the best.
I wish you the most wonderful journey of loving yourself deeply and I would love it if you shared your experiences with me. So please don’t hesitate to message me 🙂
Be Unapologetically You, you are awesome!
Love and Light,
Rebecca ❤ ❤